Skip to content
February 11, 2014 / needhamgrassroots

Needham: Tear Downs and Large Homes – Join study committee

From Needham Town Website: Data indicates that the demolition of older, smaller, and less expensive houses has become the principal source of lots for the construction of new single-family houses. A total of 317 building permits for single-family houses were issued between January 2008 and January 2013. The 289 replacement houses, constructed on lots where an existing house has been torn down, accounted for 92% of the source of new house construction over the past 5 years. The remaining 8% was allocated to infill construction at 6% and to subdivision construction at 3%. Needham has transitioned to a place where the majority of its new single family home construction is derived from tear downs driven by market demand and the unavailability of infill and subdivision lots.

The purpose of the study will be to develop a vision for the residential areas of the Town and to consider whether zoning or other land use controls are desired, warranted and potentially advantageous in Needham.

To accomplish this objective the Planning Board is seeking applications from persons interested in serving on this newly formed study committee, specifically the Board hopes to include a real estate broker, an architect, a developer and 2 citizens at large. Those selected will join a larger group comprised of representatives from select Town Boards and Commissions.

Interested persons are encouraged to send a letter of interest and resume to the Needham Planning Board, 500 Dedham Avenue, Needham, MA. Applications should be submitted by Friday, March 7, 2014. For more information, please contact Lee Newman, Director of Planning and Community Development at 781-455-7550.

REading:

Saving Needham’s history, one little pink house at a time – West – The Boston Globe (Jan 2014) – http://hmny.me/MJRouT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: